Water Aerobics at Afton Central School
Afton Central School’s Adult and Continuing Education program will again sponsor Water Aerobics classes for out of school adults. Water Aerobics class builds cardiovascular fitness and strength. This low impact format makes it easy on your joints. If you are just starting to exercise, or if you already have a program that you follow, this class is suitable for you. The use of noodles and buoyant water weights help in the cardio and resistance training. The group is small enough that you are given individual help until you feel comfortable doing the different exercises on your own. There is a lot of fun and laughter while exercising. Only one-piece bathing suits are acceptable. Come and join us.
Classes run Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm starting September 12th. There is a $3.00 fee to be paid at the beginning of each class. There is no need to register in advance.
For questions, call June White, Adult and Continuing Education Director, at 639-2811.
Morning Lap Swim
Morning Lap Swim (starting Monday, September 11th) Monday, Wednesday, & Friday swimming from 6:00 am – 7:15 am. The fee is $2.00 per session. NOTE: All swimmers must be out of the locker rooms by 7:30 am for the start of PE classes. Someone will be at the MS/HS main entrance from 5:45am-6:00am to let you into the building. If you come after this time, we can’t guarantee you will be able to get into the building.
Community Open Swim
Community open swim is starting September 19th! It will be on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 6:30pm-7:30pm when school is in session. Someone will be at the door from 6:15pm to 6:30pm to let patrons into the school. If you come after this time we can’t guarantee you will be able to get into the building. The fee per session is $2.00 per adult and $1.00 per student. Everyone is welcome. First graders and under must be accompanied by an adult. Also, please note that small children (kindergarten and under) must have an adult in the water with them. Girls must wear a one-piece bathing suit, and boys must wear a bathing suit, not gym shorts.
For more information on Open Swim and/or Lap Swim, call Director, Calli Sheldon at 639-8236 between 8:00 am and 3:00 pm Monday through Friday.
An additional lifeguard is required for over 25 swimmers at a cost of $23.00. No food or drink is allowed in the pool area. To reserve the school pool, please call the MS/HS Office at 639-8201.
Pool Activities are closed when school is not in session.
AFTON POOL RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. No jewelry, gum or unauthorized swimming equipment allowed.
2. Food is not allowed in the pool area.
3. No running or pushing in the pool area.
4. No dives, back dives, twists or somersaults from the side of the pool.
5. No diving in the shallow end of the pool.
6. Make sure the diving area is clear before you attempt to dive from the deep end of >span class="LineBreakBlob BlobObject DragDrop SCXW163024045 BCX0">
7. No jumping or diving from the starting blocks.
8. No standing or sitting on the pool gutters.
9. Bathing suits are the required attire for swimming in the pool. Girls should wear 1-piece bathing suits. 2-piece bathing suits that cover the midriff are acceptable.
10. Long hair is defined as hair that falls below the base of the neck. Long hair needs to be tied up, braided or put in a ponytail.
11. When playing basketball, do not stand around the basket while on the deck and always keep hands away from the rim and net.
12. Do not sit or hang on to the dividing rope at the deep end of the pool.
13. No sitting on other swimmers’ shoulders.
14. Swimmers need to keep their hands to themselves.
15. No walking with flippers on.
16. Spectators should remain in the spectator area.
17. No shoes allowed on the pool deck swimming area.
18. School masks and snorkels will not be available for use for pool parties/open swim. You can bring your own goggles or mask. School flippers are available upon request. Snorkels are not permitted for use during pool parties/open swim.
19. All equipment must be put away when swimmers are done with it.
20. OBEY ALL AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL IN THE POOL AREA.